Sunday 20 September 2015

30 Second Animal Sketches part 1


Here are some quick animal sketches using charcoal, they are all 30 seconds each. This practice helps me get the basic shape and silhouette of the animal as quickly as possible. I need to focus on the form of the animal and by using S shapes to create form language helps me do that. There are some that are a bit messy but others I quite like such as the separate enlarged drawings. My goal for each drawing was to create as quickly and as accurately each animal as I can. It’s also incredibly fun and relaxing to let your hand loose and make quick strokes with the charcoal. Doing this could improve my anxiety of creating and showing my work publicly as it helps me learn that it’s ok to make mistakes, just move on and keep drawing.

I want to do this a couple more times as I believe that doing this will later help me when sketching out my creature designs by being able to quickly sketch down basic shapes and figures rather than mindlessly doodling. Also getting to know animals in their anatomy, movement, behavior and design will help and inspire my greatly for when I am creating my own creature designs.   




Below is a drawing that originally started out as a 10min sketch, but I wanted to continue on with it. I had fun with this and like the sketches above I tried to keep my hand loose and try not to worry about making mistakes. Doing this has made me more relaxed and less anxious while drawing, I can now take my time and really enjoy sketching again. I don’t intend to go too much into details when drawing real life animals as I want to keep them as an inspiration for when creating my own designs. I don’t want to create aliens that are mixed matched with earth animals; I want to create a whole new ecosystem. Studying real life animals such as this I believe will help me understand why animals evolve the way the have, how their behaviour has developed and how their bodies are perfect for what they do and where they live. Starting off with these quick sketches is the start of understanding them and their design, and I will continue on with these sketches and other more detailed practice before I feel like I have learnt and developed enough knowledge to move onto creating my own creature designs.     


All the references I used for these drawings were from this website: http://artists.pixelovely.com   



No comments:

Post a Comment